12 Best Things I Love About Gaining Weight


1. Creative OOTD.  Why?  When I got so fat and bloated after several rounds of chemo, that was the time I really had nothing to wear.  I remember my chemo "grad" party when I couldn't find anything decent to wear in my closet, so I rushed to the nearest department store to find one.  I became even more frustrated because the plus size clothes didn't fit me!  To make things worse, why did they insist on using fabric and prints that made me look even bigger???  You know that jersey type fabric that clings on to all the fat and shows all those flabs? That's the one!  I even tried on some maternity wear that looked better on me.  In short, I went home empty handed.  Finally, after clothes piling up outside my closet, I was able to come up with an outfit.  I wore an orange skirt that I pulled uuuuup to my chest, turning it into a tube dress, and wore a yellow kimono to hide my legs (big arms).  I was so happy that I didn't buy anything on my shopping trip.  This outfit looked waaaaaay better than any of the ones I tried on.

2. Insta Face lift.  All I can say is, no need for botox or fillers.  Skin is tighter (banat kamo!) and looks healthier.  Upon closer examination, my pores have become smaller when my cheeks got bigger (banat nga kase!).  I see a huge difference when comparing my photos then and now...so much that some people might think I had some work done one my face ;)  
2007
2015
3. Glowing.  Overall, since I had an insta face lift, even my eye bags aren't as deep and dark anymore.  I don't look as haggard and hungry as before.  You know those comments you get when you're pregnant, and people compliment you on how glowing you are, when deep inside uhm, er, minamanas kasi ako. That's what this reminds me of!  Only this time it's better!  And I can keep it as long as I don't go below my daily calorie allowance ;)  I used to wonder what the difference was...why we say, nagmature yung face or mukhang bata.  I now see that it's the fats we retain on our face!   
2012 - pregnant
1989
2017
4. Stronger.  Thin doesn't mean fit nor healthy.  I can attest to that.  When I was super thin, I couldn't last any sport or workout for more than 15 minutes straight.  I'd be out of breath and have all sorts of pain going through my body.  Now I can do physical activities and actually enjoy them because I don't need to ask for a timeout or sub every so often.  I remember being so proud of myself when we used to play badminton and I'd go for an hour or 2 straight.  Note:  I'm not good at badminton so I run a lot.  I'm not like those pros who just rotate and don't even break a sweat.



5. Size doesn't matter.  When I was a size 26, a full stomach meant having to open the top button of my pants.  Eating, in general, meant having tighter clothes that were uncomfortable that I sometimes could't move.  I'd keep on buying clothes depending on my appetite ATM.  At my present weight, it doesn't matter if I had LBM, a slice of pizza, or enjoyed a lavish buffet.  It's all the same, really.  It's also because I've learned to get clothes that fit just right and I'll feel good in whether or not I have a FULL stomach.      

6. More confident.  Weight was one big issue to me.  I've been labeled anorexic all my life and admitted to being one as I continued on my unhealthy habits.  Heck, I was even proud of it.  It's only recently that I've learned to be comfortable in my own skin, no matter what shape or size I am.  I've learned to be confident and not care about what other people say.  I used to get so pissed when people come up to me and say "tumaba ka".  I had a long rant about this a couple of years back, some sarcastic remarks, and bitchy come backs but you know what, I just move past that and talk about other things right away because honestly, unless I'm obese and unhealthy, there are other more important and fruitful things we can talk about.  

7. Funnier.  Along with the confidence came being more open to people and just downright learning to really laugh at myself...Or maybe it's from living with my husband for quite some time?  Having that heavy (self) burden lifted really gave me such an energy boost.        

8. Justified Katakawan.  When you're fat and you eat a lot, it's fine coz it's somewhat expected.  But when you're thin, OMFG, that's a whole different story.  I remember years ago, when I was thin, I had a lunch meeting with some male clients.  To me, I ate a normal amount of meat and veggies, just no rice/carbs.  One of these clients is my husband's cousin.  When he got to speak with his cousin, this is what his cousin told him: "Ang lakas kumain ni Kat!"  Bwahahahahahahaha!  I didn't mind.  I was actually shocked because I wonder how they'd react if they saw me unleashed.  Okay, here's the thing.  I have had a huge appetite and capable of eating A LOT ever since I can remember.  If I didn't practice any type of self control, I'd be 200lbs or more now.  Even at my thinnest, you'd see me munching away at something most of the time.  I remember the time I'd go on surf trips with some friends and they'd notice how friendly I am to dogs and vice versa.  After reviewing photos, we saw why.  I was always eating something!  Apparently the stray dogs were being friendly so that I'd give them food! :)     

9. More shopping options.  Apart from being creative when choosing outfits, I've also gone on Youtube to seek for some fashion advice. The best ones so far are shopping in the men's section and not looking at the size on the label.  Can you imagine that?  I get to shop through more more more items!!!  I used to avoid Levi's shops or locally made women's jeans because they're too short for me or just doesn't fit well.   The key is to fit the clothes.  If it fits right and looks good, it doesn't matter that it's for men or what size it is.  I'd rather get a pair of jeans men's size 32 that feels and looks good than a ladies' size 29 that makes me look like a sausage.  This is also a hack that can "save" me some money ;) Christmas eve, we were all dressing up, my son realized his jeans were all in the laundry and I happened to have a new pair of men's jeans in my closet.  Fortunately, we're the same size so I gave it to him!  I'll just wait a couple of months before I get it back.  He's a growing boy, I'm sure he'll outgrow it pretty soon.         
Men's polo
Men's jeans
My son wearing my pants

10. Approachable.  Some friends told me that I looked mataray when I was thin.  Maybe it was the super thin brows?  Either way, the confidence boost has made me more outgoing.  Like how can I be interested in getting to know other people if I was so busy being self conscious and uncomfortable, right?

11. Fat jokes.  You know that thing when we get offended or mad when foreigners bash the Philippines, but whenever we Filipinos do it ourselves, it's okay?  Or when you have an inside joke then a stranger joins in, it's awkward? I think it's the same here.  In this hyper-sensitive age of everyone having an issue with everything (fat shaming, cultural appropriation, labels, etc), we might as well keep our mouths shut OR become a member of all these groups to avoid saying or doing something that might "hurt" someone.  Like, come on, have all just lost our sense of humor?  So yeah, I'm glad to be a part of this group so I can continue teasing my husband and friends that are on the same boat.   My husband, for one, has been doing this since time immemorial AND he was never thin.  That makes it even funnier because OMG, ang kapal diba! Hahahahaha!

12. Happy.  Bottomline, I am happier now than I was before.  I am not promoting being fat but it's really not the end of the world.  There are a million other things to be thankful for.  If others eat because they're depressed, I'm the complete opposite.  I don't like eating alone.  I lose my appetite when I'm sad.  So yeah, a fat Kat is a happy Kat :)   

Comments

Popular Posts